Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Godliness in parenting...

Parenting is by far the hardest, most demanding responsibility I have but at the same time it is the most rewarding. I believe God uses my responsibility as a parent to teach me many things about myself, His character and my relationship with Him, or better said, the relationship He desires to have with me. I am working through the book Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp and am discovering many things about myself, mind you the majority of which is not very attractive. I am also learning more of what my responsibility is as a parent, primarily to Shepherd my children's heart toward a right relationship with God.

On this journey to aspiring godliness, in parenting, I am sure this has never happened to you. I am getting ready for work. Breakfast is fixed and served for my oldest child with instructions to sit properly and focus on eating, a feat most often difficult for this child. Needless to say, the cup of milk spilled on the table soiling the many papers sitting nearby.

What would be your inclination? Is your inclination to get angry, scream, throw something or worse yet, physically punish your child (which according to Tedd Tripp is child abuse (SIN) because you are acting out of anger). After all, the papers on the table are now stained with milk, which after a day or two will start smelling sour.

After the mess was cleaned up and an opportunity was taken to share God's word with my child I had some thoughts. In the grand scheme of things what is more important, the papers sitting on the table which will likely disappear one way or another in a matter of weeks as their immediate importance fades with time or the lasting character of my child.

In the matter of obedience, the child's obedience to the parent and the parent's obedience to a Holy God, who has the greatest responsibility? I concluded the parent, who has experienced the transforming power of the Holy Spirit and has had a heart of stone replaced with a heart of flesh, has the greatest responsibility to obedience. I am not excusing a child's responsibility to obedience, after all, Ephesians 6:1 commands children to obey their parents because they belong to God and this is a good thing, being the first commandment with a promise, that it will go well for the child and the child will have long life. But let's face it, doing this without the unction of the Holy Spirit is most difficult if not at times impossible. Although I must continue to teach my children the ways of the Lord, it's not to instruct them to do it within their own power but to lead them to the cross of Jesus Christ so that they can come to receive faith unto belief, by God's grace and will.

I have the greatest responsibility to obedience. I am required to be a faithful steward over what belongs to God. As a faithful steward I am not to create stumbling blocks for my children that may cause them to sin greater. As a faithful steward I am to treat my children with the same grace and kindness God has shown me; God had his son die for my sins even while I was shaking my fist in defiance toward Him and He is faithful and just to forgive me of my disobedience (SIN) when I confess to Him. As a faithful steward I am to have self control and not become angry and worse sin in my anger.

My child's character is of greatest importance but not just his character but the condition of his soul. Parallel in my journey in aspiring godliness I am also laboring to share that journey with my children. My primary responsibility as a parent is to evangelize my kids; to proclaim the gospel day and night, upon waking and going to sleep, on the road and at the dinner table. My heart's cry to God is that He will call them by name and draw them to Himself; that they will be sheep that hear the Shepherd's voice and follow Him. With spilt milk, or whatever incident may occur to give me these opportunities, may I continue to obey God's commands and trust His promises in my journey to aspiring godliness in parenting.

No comments: